The Rules of Role Playing

It never fails... I am training a new sales person for Mail Print and s/he will say something to the effect, "Gina, whenever I role play with you I get so nervous. I really do a great job when I'm with clients." I generally think a couple things and I don't always tell them:
  • I intend to make you nervous. If you are nervous with me, perhaps you will be better prepared for that overbearing prospect.
  • If you face your fears and conquer them you are better.
  • The last thing I think, "get over it", this is about business and about making money. I'm not your mom, I'm your boss and you don't get to make money until you please me.
I'm tough, but not nearly as tough as the real world. My job is to help my sales people make money and role playing is the best way for them to learn the basic techniques and scripts that will help them earn real money.

I know, I'm the boss and I do make people nervous, sometimes on purpose. You know why? Because if they are nervous with me, they will be better prepared for that tough client.

Would you ever in a million years walk on to a stage and not rehearse your lines? Why in the world would you ever let a staff member in front of a client (or on the phone with a client) with out role playing and rehearsing?

Now, that's a bosses perspective. Let's look at the sales person who wants to be successful.

It's utterly amazing to me the number of sales people who think they don't need to practice their scripts. Really? Who are you kidding. The best sales people no matter the industry have an arsenal of scripts they use each day. The best sales people carefully write and craft their scripts.

Use these rules to rehearse your scripts and make role playing a beneficial activity:
  1. Prepare your stand in client -- give her a list of the most common objections you receive. Let her know exactly what you are having problems with so she can present a realistic experience.
  2. Always close the sale -- make sure your stand-in client knows that she should be tough on you, but should always allow you to close the sale. Reality is that in most instances we experience a relatively positive interaction with a prospect, but in most role playing sessions you end up with the hardest client on the planet. Role play in a realistic manner and end on a positive note -- close the sale.
  3. If you sell via phone (or set appointments) be sure that you do not look at your stand-in client. If possible, call her. If you sell face to face, then try to create as realistic environment as possible for your rehearsal time.
  4. Have actual samples, products and contracts so you can go through all the steps needed to insure a realistic experience.
  5. Record or video tape your rehearsal and go back for careful review. Everyone hates watching or listening to herself. Think for a minute, would you ever send out a big proposal without having someone proofread it... don't go another day without proofreading your sales approach - otherwise you may never get to prepare that proposal.

Use these rules for your role playing and you will have a positive experience. You'll close more deals and make more money.

After all, is that what business is all about?

No comments: